Name: Oledstfart
Sunday, September 30, 2001 2:41 AM

Vait til the revoolution. Dis ist vunderdekadent. Isgrandstuff ya? Das Frownland? Und zeuber steuff. De hole thing.. Juxtaposition of de deck. Very unlikely to a big hit be.

Name: Poly Gog
Wednesday, September 26, 2001 4:58 AM

Brilliant site – long-time long-distance lover of Magic Band music via the Beefheart secret society network – anyone who’s interested in music should be exposed to Magic Band playing – the Trouthouse sessions sans Vliet are quite an ear-opener – gee beefart was a great messer of his own things – scattergunning his own art was part of the fun I guess. Sad to hear about his health and deterioration. I get the impression that he and partner Jan are solitary creatures at the edge of the pacific ocean – not necessarily sad – I wonder if they have a family? I am glad he’s found some sorta peace and prosperity in that latter half of his/their life thru art. Thank you Don Van Vliet for opening the possibilities of music/art for us younger folk – (i am 46). love + peace

Name: William Webb
Sunday, September 23, 2001 1:07 AM

A friend of mine played Trout Mask Replica on cd for me yesterday I used to have the album but that was many moons ago so it was great hearing Don’s music again. That was my fav Captain Beefheart album of the era. I guess I’ll have to get it on cd. Just wanted to say Beefheart still rules after all these years, thanks Don for some great stuff.

Name: Sweet
Monday, September 17, 2001 7:31 PM

just wanna say that beef and the gang changed my musical life forever and that the man is a genius . also if anyone out there knows where i can get my hands on some beefheart tablature drop us a line

Name: vicente
Monday, September 17, 2001 1:21 AM

Dear captain, i’m a french little girl and i’m realy in love with your work. My dream is to meet you. Would you come soon to a performance in paris? Come and spend your holiday with me in paris?

Name: Richard T.
Monday, September 10, 2001 7:16 PM

So cool. I didn’t even know that the good Captain was such an accomplished artist as well. Peace to the good Captain and all there at the “Radar Station” — listening to “Hot Rats” “Willie the Pimp” right now which was what prompted me surf on out. [:)] Smiley laying on towel, thinking about “Flies through space, dimension warp, all that kind of rhythm”. — All the best, Richard.

Name: Rick E.
Sunday, September 09, 2001 3:30 PM

Who the hek is Captain Beefheart and what is (was) his relationship to Franky?

Name: Phyllis Frew (Wadsworth)
Tuesday, September 04, 2001 12:45 PM

Hi Don, I think we went to the same high school – Mojave. You lived almost next door to us on K Street. Your mother and mine were friends. I was sent a website listing famous people with MS and came across your name. I was diagnosed with MS in June 2000. If I’m wrong about knowing you, please ignore this message.

Name: TROY JAMES PORL DWYER
Tuesday, September 04, 2001 3:17 AM

DON’T PANIC

Name: Trash
Friday, August 31, 2001 7:54 PM

I bought Trout Mask Replica last week and after the first listening session I didn’t like it at all. After reading more about the album I decided to listen some more and the album keeps amazing me every time I listen to it. Fascinating! This site is a good source for me. Keep up the good work!

Name: Erik van Vliet
Friday, August 31, 2001 8:15 AM

I like Erik van Vliet www.vanvliet.lachen.net

Name: Paul Bridle
Wednesday, August 29, 2001 12:39 PM

First heard the great man and Band on John Peel’s BBC programme in late 60’s. Just reading Ken Barnes’ Captain Beefheart and am hearing the works again as if anew. Thanks for a fine book, Ken. It’s opened my ears after 30 years! Love the web site.

Name: Mozoa
Thursday, August 23, 2001 7:33 AM

You’re doing a great man a great service. If only all life was this simple. Keep it fast n bulbous. Best fishes & cheap wine – Mozzy.

Name: Phil Creamer
Thursday, August 23, 2001 3:47 AM

I deeply respect any man who was willing to take a stand against a staid musical community and provide the world with an unsurpassable slice of sound and word that will surely never ever be bettered. Relax those ears in the sounds of 3056, and every other mature ear in all the previous days, months, squids and years

Name: Dave Burdette
Monday, August 20, 2001 5:49 AM

Cool site. Nice job. Keep up the good work. An artist of Don’s calipher deserves the ongoing recognition. Sites like yours give artists like Don the attention the mainstream media so sorely is lacking. I’ve been a fan of Capt. Beefheart since 1969. Trout Mask was the first recording I heard. In my humble opinion, it put the Beatles, and Stones and so many other recording artists of that time period to shame, artistically speaking. That feeling remains true for me to this day. Thanks for the time and energy you put into the site. It’s nice to have a place to go to check up on someone as influential and creative as Don has been and is.

Name: Rob Tucker (no relation to Bob Scott)
Saturday, August 18, 2001 5:57 AM

Thanks again for this outta sight-site. I hope Don is out there somewhere looking in and smiling at all this madness – we all love the man.

Name: Jerry Handley
Saturday, August 18, 2001 4:46 AM

Hi, I’m Jerry Handley the original bass player of Captain Beefheart. Appreciate all the interest in the band. Still jam privately with family and friends. Had a 25th wedding anniversary party 10 years ago, and got together with Doug Moon and Alex Snouffer (St.Clair). It was fantastic, a lot of partying and story telling. Great to have all the interest in the band and reading all your comments. It was great being a part of the original band and helping the blues movement go forward! Thanks, Jerry Handley – The original Rocket Morton!

Name: Jah Lime
Thursday, August 16, 2001 12:31 PM

The Captain always did it for me. Got to see him in London in ‘8O – he was cool, I was on LSD. Greetings to everyone…..

Name: pappy smear & the cervix valley boys
Tuesday, July 24, 2001 3:09 AM

beefheart and bluegrass, music don’t get no better than that

Name: Marc W. McCord
Tuesday, July 17, 2001 3:50 PM

Don; I found your web site from a link sent to me by Jimmy Carl and am glad to know about it. I doubt that you would remember, but I worked with you when you were playing with the Mothers in 1975. My company was Black Cobra Productions, a division of my artist management company, Burning Heart, Inc. It has been a long time since I heard from you and am glad to see that you are alive and well. Since I have not yet had time to visit your web site in detail I will just say that I am sure it will be as interesting as ever for a guy who appears on an album cover in a trout head mask and who sings songs like “Ah feel like ahcid”. Keep up the great work you have always aspired to create. You make the world a lot different for many people, myself included. Marc

Name: dusstie airs
Sunday, July 08, 2001 12:00 PM

i’ve long been into mr. van vliet, and am surprised to learn what an asshole he can be. however, that does not change the fact that he will be remembered by those who “know”, as one of the great artists of the late 20th century!

Name: Jason
Monday, July 02, 2001 5:50 PM

When I listen to Beefhearts music its like stepping out of a triangle into striped light.

Name: George Omahoney
Saturday, June 30, 2001 3:26 PM

Hello and salutations. Excellent site. Will be spending many a happy hour viewing from now onwards.

Name: anders olof norrhage
Friday, June 29, 2001 8:00 PM

Nothing special, just want to tell Don that his music is out of this world, no other music compares at all. There is other newborn music, but none else that comes without history. You created something truthful. (Of course you know history, but the music is without it, it just flows, like everything else ought to do)

Name: Geff “SOF’ SERV’D” Stewart
Wednesday, June 27, 2001 4:43 PM

Keep up the damn good work, keep whistlin’ and drippin’ like a stream

Name: Scott Mathews
Wednesday, June 27, 2001 9:21 AM

I’m Scott Mathews, record producer by trade. In the very late 70’s or very early 80’s I was making a record at the Automatt in San Francisco. Don was working in the studio across the hall. I used to see him hanging alone at the back door a lot. Seems he was having a huff with the sessions and wanted to be left alone. I walked by with my dog, a bull terrier named ‘Ray Charles’ and our Captain stopped us and let out a yelp! He claimed this beast was the most beautiful animal he had ever seen and proceeded to do a sketch of it. I didn’t ask him for it or ever see it again. Wonder if anyone else has. It’s a simple pencil drawing that I would pay large for. Dog chain puller, SM

Name: Chalky
Saturday, June 16, 2001 11:10 PM

I saw Don and the boys play live around L.A. several times way back when. When I first met Frank back stage at the Bowl, I said: “I always wanted to shake the hand of Don Van Vliet, but I guess I’ll have to settle for Frank Zappa.” Frank gave a quirky smile. I eventually was introduced to Don after a gig at the Golden Bear. It seems like a lifetime ago.

Name: John Zaniol
Wednesday, June 13, 2001 8:44 PM

Been a Beefheart fan since I was knee high to a grasshopper!! Excellent site!! Told all my Beefheart\Zappa buddies about it!!

Name: Mike Kobik
Wednesday, June 13, 2001 5:44 AM

Thanks for the web page. I’ve been a huge Capt. fan since I was 13.

Name: Tim Kik
Tuesday, June 12, 2001 7:47 PM

I’ve been looking for the lyrics to some of Captain Beefhearts songs for years – and at last I’ve found them here! Brilliant site about Captain Beefheart and all things related. I’ll definitely be back!

Name: Jimmyblues
Sunday, June 10, 2001 7:06 AM

If you ever go to the Grande Canyon- find the employee lounge- mention the Cap’n and they’ll love you

Name: Geff Stewart
Thursday, June 07, 2001 6:53 PM

wake up wake up, holding a soul flower, power, grows from the bones and dust. it helps me be that thing, we all know. come on, wake up wriggling violent geese hairs, piercing through the tin crust, honk squeek beaking tumors over each nostril now, now, wake up, wake up, taste it’s humus “They say it breaks the catatonic state, I think there’s one right now” To Don Van Vliet, I LOVE YOU

Name: Dave
Saturday, June 02, 2001 8:51 PM

I think his music is magic. I have managed to collect almost all of his albums since the beginning. Superb!!!

Name: Dreadlock Dave
Saturday, June 02, 2001 4:56 PM

Peace babies!

Name: Dave Blackwell
Sunday, May 27, 2001 11:54 AM

The Flight To Venus At thirty thousand feet above the Penines its all because of you the meaning of existence was revealed to me a sworm of venu fly traps decended on us from above the admiral smiled wryly and cocked a snook at the invading hoardes He had faced many adversaries but none so awe inspiring as the Venusians resplendent in robes of crimson and emerald green I strode to the forefront of the battle ground my sword glinting in the moonlight reys of light darting across the breast plate of my armour. the leader of the traps opened up to me to reveal an ocean of flies. encrusted in the fleshy walls of the trap the flies sang songs remembered from their youth. as i entered the opening i was invited to drink from the fountains of pleasure engulfed in the juices i forgot all ideas of reality and time when i awoke i found myself tied to a raft washed up on the floors of an alien landscape lit by triple moons of azure, yellow and violet and the centre of a opalescent sky shinning amid a pulsating bronze horizons escaping from my bonds i head towards the shade of the mountains The admiral lies in the shade of the opening of the cave ‘Estragon listen to me,you must leave this place the others know of you prescence’ ‘but Admiral you are injured’ ‘Icould not leave you here now’ ‘You must go Estragon time is running out’ ‘I will hold them off till you reach the other side’ ‘As I walk back to the bathroom, the chill of the tiles waken my feet up’ ‘i turn to see if anything remains’ but i cannot lift my eyes from the ground for fear of the loss’ And then as the darkness began to envelop us ‘we cried’ ‘As our tears fell to the earth beneath’ ‘Seedlings began to sprout crimson and Emerald leaves Petals growing to eclipse all in it wake. As our story comes to a close we cannot help but believe For when we stop believing we forget the beauty of it all then our tears of joy will bear no fruit The End

Name: Tom Eilenberg
Sunday, May 27, 2001 6:24 AM

Great voice, great musicianship, great imagination and humor, great artistry delivered with humility and integrity……a genius!

Name: Brad Throlson
Monday, May 21, 2001 6:47 PM

True uniqueness.

Name: Stephen Lloyd
Sunday, May 20, 2001 10:06 AM

Great site – but with all the new people, why doesn’t it happen anymore? Lick My Decals Off, Baby is one of the most important artworks of all time. It takes on more importance as time passes. The rug’s wearing out…

Name: Denis Popov
Tuesday, May 15, 2001 3:40 AM

I am 29, male and I am a huge lifelong CB fan. I just adore His raspy voices and His great cool zany music. All I wanna say is: Captain, you’re the best!!! Denis

Name: Brett
Saturday, May 12, 2001 8:31 PM

This is a quality resource you’ve got going here. I was especially impressed with the astute connections you’ve drawn in the links section, i.e. Cope, Hitchcock, and most notably Adbusters. Rock on! Would love to trade links.

Name: Andrew Wakeford
Thursday, May 10, 2001 7:05 PM

I had the pleasure of seeing Don perform on a number of occaisions over the years, treasured musical moments that will remain with me forever.

Name: Tom Miller
Thursday, May 10, 2001 1:32 AM

Just spoke with club owner Hank LoConti who owned the old Cleveland Agora where the Captain performed in 1971. I told him about the web sites and he was amazed there was so much devotion. He owned LaCave as well but sold it for a pool hall probably in 1969. The concert listed in January of 1971 in Cleveland was at the Agora not LaCave. I WAS THERE!!! What a trip. Love to hear from other fans. Check out “Howlin’ Wolf, his best” on the Chess label CHD-9375 for some vocals that will blow you away.

Name: Stoney Jones
Tuesday, May 08, 2001 11:13 PM

Beefheartian for life

Name: Achim
Tuesday, May 08, 2001 11:04 PM

Captain Beefhearts music led me safely through a very troubled time in my life. I´m thankfull and have to say: RESPECT TO MR. VAN VLIET for everything he did to music and art!!!!!

Name: Radovan Jiroušek
Monday, May 07, 2001 7:55 PM

Hello, – You over the ocean, thanks for informations about my love music, Cpt. B. I´m interesting for Cpt. B. music older than 1971. Bye, Radovan

Name: Fireskink
Monday, May 07, 2001 5:28 AM

What a wonderful site. A revelation for me who for years have thought it was Captain Bee Fart.

Name: Shaun David Ytterland
Thursday, May 03, 2001 6:13 PM

Hello. Please mail if you wanna chat about Beefheart. I’ve never talked to another Beefheart fanatic yet I have introduced it (the music) to my friends….. stay in touch

Name: Tony McFadden
Thursday, May 03, 2001 4:07 PM

The Captain changed the way I look and feel about music and art forever. How could he not? Thanks for the downloads of Booglarise and Crow. I’ll be keeping an eye out for more. Great site, especially the art and the screensaver. Keep the faith!

Name: Histler
Wednesday, May 02, 2001 6:44 AM

I am pleased to have grown into young tape, but not plump, from around ’72, catchy and good, Don’s “Frownland.” If Don’s curriculum contains an overactive under-prostibulation clause, count me an apeman. Oh well, that’s the raspberries.