Name: Funkmeister G
Monday, April 30, 2001 12:47 PM

I am now playing Odd Jobs the piano version, after a whole bunch off Grow Fins disc 5, I picked up the 180g reissue of THE SPOTLIGHT KID on the weekend, it’s low & grumbly sounding, a MEAN sound if you understand, not cut w/ clarity particularly but effective in its own way. been diggin’ Sun Ra too & I think that Mellotron thing does sound like Atlantis etc & I also don’t don’t know why Don would reject comparison to another great artist. oh well, these are my thoughts for the day. keep up the good work.

Name: Sabden Grand pu bah
Monday, April 30, 2001 12:08 PM

What a fantastic site. It’s kicked my ass into gear to re-spin TMR etc after years criminally gathering dust. Only problem is the age-old nugget of our lass running out of the living room with pained/mystified expression. On 2nd thoughts maybe not such a big drawback.

Name: Matthew Lennon
Sunday, April 29, 2001 11:29 PM

Im 17 and from liverpool, i found out about don through the bbc documentary, and i really want to see it again. If you people ever notice that its coming on again then put it in the news here! Anyway, I love Dons music, he is a true genius, i love his blues and his psychadelia. keep the music alive and spread the word. Not many of us young ones are into Don and thats very sad.

Name: Tim Quinn
Sunday, April 29, 2001 8:53 PM

This is an AWESOME website. Best one ever of Captain Beefheart much less anyone else.

Name: shaun david ytterland
Friday, April 27, 2001 9:49 AM

hello beefheart fans! I wanted to say to the world that i am one of you! I discovered beefhert for a year ago or so and now i gotta get more and more its like a drug. It really is the greatest form of expression i have ever witnessed. I hope i can talk to some guys who have seen the man! Unfortunately i was born in 1985 so i didnt get the opportunity….. mail me ! My favorite beefhert album is Trout mask replica. I live in norway and have a cd with a swedish band playing dons tunes during an art exhibition it features denny walley on guitar and a swedish guy named freddie wadling on vocals plus some other guys on other insrtuments….. they play these songs live: grow fins nowadays a womans gotta hit a man when it blows it stacks sun zoom spark tropical hot dog night bat chain puller ice cream for crow china pig lick my decals off baby harry irene big eyed beans from venus its from 96 and its pretty good

Name: Rian Kelly
Friday, April 27, 2001 4:27 AM

Only the cap’n would tempt me to sign a guest book. He was bending light and melting sound. Nobody sounds like the Magic Band. Absolutely Nobody could. I love that man and his flourescent strumming heartstrings. Don is a saint, and his work should be on the educational curriculum.

Name: Ken Lyall
Thursday, April 26, 2001 12:22 PM

Having heard most of Captain Beefheart’s music I think that he has been the best artist from the last 40 years. I feel very dated when I state that ’65 to 82′ were the most influential in my life, but that is how it is. The best is probabily ‘Big eyed Beans from venus’ but I love everything. I am adicted. The voice is supreem I can only dream of what it would be like today. When I die, I will be satisfied that I have heard the best. ken

Name: Michael Mathews
Wednesday, April 25, 2001 6:05 PM

The Locarno Ballroom in Sunderland, pretentiously renamed “The Fillmore” on Friday and Monday evenings, always played “Electricity” and “Abba Zabba”, (circa 1970). I was curious to hear Captain Beefheart, having seen the early LPs in record shops. John Peel played “Decals”, upon release, on his Saturday afternoon radio show. I purchased it immediately. To my chagrin, I missed the “Spotlight Kid” tour date at Newcastle. But I saw the performance at Bickershaw Festival in 1972. The concert was filmed and projected onto twin screens. I have often wondered what happened to the film, anxious that it may be decomposing in some vault somewhere. Artie Tripp wore an old aviator’s helmet, with his hair protruding through the earpiece holes. Zoot Horn Rollo wore a fur coat surmounted by a large zootsuiters’ panama hat; his bare legs were painted with the words “Love” and “Hate” a la Robert Mitchum’s knuckles. I saw the band again at Newcastle, during the “Clear Spot” tour, then again a couple of years later at a festival, north of London. The only other afficionado I knew was my friend Steve Seraf, who used to go to concerts and then go backstage. I didn’t hear the last three Magic Band L.Ps until recently, because I became disillusioned after “Bluejeans and Moonbeams”.

Name: luke
Tuesday, April 24, 2001 7:47 PM

Beefheart is the best! It changed my life! I am a bass and guitar player and I have to say I’ve always been looking for a band like beefheart. It has opened me up musically! Your web site is equally the best. Thank you

Name: Lubernaut
Sunday, April 22, 2001 6:03 PM

I like canes.

Name: stu boyer
Saturday, April 21, 2001 1:56 AM

I really enjoy don and his music!! I sure would love to trade for some of his shows if there is anything out there. I have lots of Tom waits, zappa, dead and other stuff. shows in their entirety. Stu

Name: dave matthews
Thursday, April 19, 2001 10:22 PM

a squid eating dough in a polyethelene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?

Name: Geff Stewart
Monday, April 16, 2001 11:48 PM

Don Van Vliet is the most innovative, important musical figure in the last 50 years. He is the most original artist that ever lived, and he is the inspiration in evrything I’ve done in my entire life, from age 2 until now, age 15. I hope he’ll be around for a long while even if he doesn’t make music his art and paintings are genius. -Geff Stewart, Pasadena, Md.

Name: Tracy Postform
Saturday, April 14, 2001 4:53 AM

I am glad to have seen Don in concert once in the early 80’s . He was great but the sound people screwed up bad. I think they used University staff who knew nothing about his music at all !! Sorry to hear he has MS. He is a treasure !!

Name: Ben Dominici
Tuesday, April 10, 2001 5:32 AM

Hello, all you computer geeks out there. I’m writing this because my “Trout Mask Replica” addiction has become more and more serious in the past year or so, and now I have to listen to it at least once a week. If you’re like me, just know that you’re not alone, and keep listening. I also like all other Beefheart as well as The Mothers, Syd Barrett, the Residents, and more. But I’ll always keep coming back to “Trout Mask”, my eyes watering in apriciation of his thoughtful preparation.

Name: Ken Lyall
Monday, April 09, 2001 10:00 PM

Captain Beefheart is an insparation to me. INDEPENDENCE for Scotland and fast and bulbous GOT ME!

Name: b.schuster
Monday, April 09, 2001 6:00 AM

Eastown Theater-Detroit-71 or 72?Punch & Judy-Grosse Pointe-80 or so. Harpo’s-Detroit-Final Tour-Eastown show was best with Zoot Horn just wailing.

Name: Nancy Deedrick
Monday, April 09, 2001 3:48 AM

Ran across the Beefheart page. Oh, man, how could I forget him, but somehow he slipped my mind. I have a Hollywood Sixties website called The Great Hollywood Hangover, and I have got to get info on Captain Beefheart on my site ASAP. Nancy

Name: Andrzej Kucharczyk
Sunday, April 08, 2001 9:51 AM

Hello all Beefhearts fans! I’ve just started to discover a wonderful world of Don Van Vliet. I bought Safe as Milk album and loved it. I’m only 19. Nice work! Keep it up, then Bye, bye

Name: Sty (Alias Kris)
Sunday, April 08, 2001 5:52 AM

gimme dat ol’ time religion, don’t gimme no affliction – the captain shaped my youth/life in more ways than one, i was a march drummer/garage band dude in ’69 when my late brother (sty also) gave me tmr for xmas – the pipe broke so i’ve played the horn ever since…

Name: Nil Witthaneye
Saturday, April 07, 2001 2:35 PM

Captain …O(uc)h, captain….thanx for the company…

Name: Breth Scally
Saturday, April 07, 2001 1:58 AM

Perfumed Garden…Mr. Peel (and his communal sweater)…1967..Radio London…The Captain ruling the hazy airwaves, forward and back..And where did he go then. Thought (in my adult ignorance) He must be dead. But no, I think I would have known…The Sun would, at least have dipped, or dimmed, Best love, Breth

Name: Osusieque
Friday, April 06, 2001 11:47 PM

Raised and living in a neighboring county of Don’s birthplace, Riverside, CA, I am virgin to planet Captain Beefheart. I am also new to this internet ride and have yet and to figure out how to locate the live song I downloaded yesterday. After my savage feast of review on the many scrumptious items served at Radar Station ‘cafe’…my hunger still pangs for a taste of what this music sounds like. I am an avid blues lover and can’t wait to see if this sound tastes like that feeling which touches my soul. Feed me! I intend to visit this shroom-like world often for its intense, creative, grass root atmosphere- not to mention, all of the great looking fellas…(jesting, of course…perhaps?)

Name: Roland
Friday, April 06, 2001 11:22 PM

Hello, I regularly visit this website to find out any Beefheart news, albums etc. I have been a fan since when Strictly Personal was first released.

Name: Brother Meg
Friday, April 06, 2001 10:21 PM

remember when you were young, apes ma ? Love Always

Name: Eddie Mc Gonigle
Thursday, April 05, 2001 11:16 PM

Dear All, Found this on a “search-engine”. Started to read up about Huxley and The Captain when I read the story (is it really true?), about Aldous purchasing a Hoover from Beefhart, after turning up at house in Mojave Desert. Used to have his music. It is in my house somewhere, in a room full of albums. Love from Glasgow, Scotland.

Name: Bob Spraint
Thursday, April 05, 2001 9:20 PM

Would someone at the house give Don a hug for me? Again, I am listening to “Troutmask” and being in it. My fingers can’t thank you but I will. Whales here too. A beautiful sagebrush rabbit

Name: David Elmore
Tuesday, April 03, 2001 9:43 PM

This is a fabulous site. I have been a Captain Beefheart fan since mid High School, 1969. This gives me a great enjoyment and peace in my increasing years.

Name: mondo suave
Tuesday, April 03, 2001 10:17 AM

You gotta check this out. Plus our hall of respect including – The Stooges, Captain Beefheart, Johnny Lee, Jon Spencer, Tom Waits, Cows, Sir Robert of Johnson, and a whole host of others; in short, a list of who the hell else you should be listening to according to the Suave.

Name: Craig Boardman
Tuesday, April 03, 2001 10:08 AM

With passionate awe that is deeper than panic The spirit subdued and unshaken Takes heed of the godhead terrace and Titanic Whose football is felt on the breach of manic Sharp steps that their fire has forsaken. Yes Craig Boardman’s Boots…. Keep marching on !

Name: Azeem
Saturday, March 31, 2001 10:07 PM

Beautiful website. I’ve spent so many hours here. My web site is lame so far but anyone who’s reading this please look at it and sign the guestbook. That would be wicked nice of you. Captain Beefheart music is good for the heart and the spine! YIP!

Name: Back Forward Comics
Saturday, March 31, 2001 5:03 AM

I recently posted a series of comic strips in honor of Don, and in particular, Clear Spot. I’d love it if anyone might stop by my web site and let me know what they might think of the mess I’ve made. Best Wishes to all. Will Ferret

Name: albanion tumbleweed
Sunday, March 25, 2001 8:35 PM

music info on this site has guitar tab but the link to “randy tab” is not a real link which is nice but not in my case.

Name: Erik Steaggles aged 14
Friday, March 23, 2001 7:10 PM

Hi again! I am a regular visitor of this fab site-and who could believe I am only 14!!! If their is anyone else out there my age (13-18)- please email…. My favourite albums are TROUT MASK & LICK MY DECALS OFF, BABY, but mainly I like all of them (BLUEJEANS & UNCONDITIONALLY GUARANTEED are a bit weak). I have all the original UK issues (2 original Straight copies of TROUT MASK) and a US copy of TROUT MASK with the book!!! It didn’t come cheap, though!!! The box set is also worth having a listen to- it’s really interesting. Anyway, gotta go….

Name: Twindled Guitar player
Friday, March 23, 2001 2:52 PM

I Am most disgruntled that i m unable to find any guitar tab for any songs i’ve searched hard if any one has searched harder plaese let me know.

Name: Jethro ‘Big Boy’ Knight
Friday, March 23, 2001 2:52 PM

I have just found this site. Sensational is the word I would use to describe it. But I won’t.

Name: Armend Kabashi
Monday, March 19, 2001 3:55 PM

Beefheart is truly oceanic, and course switching master if you know what I mean

Name: Colin
Sunday, March 18, 2001 1:12 PM

Just a message to thank the great man for all those lovely cross-rhythms. Captain Beefheart (Don van vliet) An absolute genius. We will never see the like of him again.

Name: Dennis Whitehead
Friday, March 16, 2001 4:20 PM

One of my obligations as a parent is to see that my children are properly educated in fine music. Now that they’re in their teens it was time to bring out the Beef. They have thanked me. Still the greatest musical genius I have ever come across. Captain, you’re the best.

Name: Steve Schutz
Friday, March 16, 2001 3:11 PM

Thank you so much for your time and effort to bring to the masses a very complete and through collection of information on the Master My HIGHEST regards. Zwigget

Name: Karvaiset Orjuuttajat
Monday, March 12, 2001 7:52 PM

This sounds like cliche, but without Captain Beefheart there would be no Karvaiset Orjuuttajat. He have influenced us a lot. Thanks Don!

Name: Paul Zink
Saturday, March 10, 2001 1:22 AM

Long neck botles from Venus rule!

Name: jonathan groves
Thursday, March 08, 2001 10:50 AM

we live we die and in hope we pray to a bearded myth in the sky instead of the real thing don van vliet

Name: John Peel
Monday, March 05, 2001 10:47 PM

Come back Captain – you are an absolute legend. I modelled my facial hair on yourself: Lammo is soon to be a fan, I can tell you. I lent him my only copy of ‘Clear spot’. Superb. Better than Coldplay who still believe in Father Christmas.

Name: Simon Plant
Monday, March 05, 2001 9:12 PM

Hi everyone I’m a bit like Van Vliet myself. Have a look at me site!

Name: Char Luck
Friday, March 02, 2001 2:07 PM

What the hell is going on in the world, when there can be a Magic Band with a Captain Beefheart, and yet, we suck up crap through the earholes and disconnect the brain stems through the eyeholes in the face of today’s music??? You, friend, make the world go round. Now, after viewing this site, I will go on to make more music. sigh. thanks

Name: PeteB
Wednesday, February 21, 2001 8:56 PM

If the word “cool” would not have gone through such an inflation i would describe this site “hot”. Thank you for your patience.

Name: Nick
Tuesday, February 20, 2001 11:26 PM

As a relatively new Beefheart fan, this site has been an excellent reference. The amount of information here is incredible. I had always been familiar with the name but had never heard any of his material. My only regret at this point is that it took so long for me to finally hear his music, spurred on by the recommendation of a friend. All I can say is “WOW”! “Bat Chain Puller”…stunning. “Trout Mask Replica”…eye-opening.

Name: Daniel Dust
Tuesday, February 20, 2001 7:19 AM

Great web site. Keep up the good work. I may be hungry, but I sure ain’t weird!

Name: Liz Tomkins
Sunday, February 18, 2001 10:53 PM

Finally – I get it!

Name: the muffin
Friday, February 16, 2001 2:31 PM

i think ‘safe as milk’ is a much underrated album and is in fact the best beefheart did after trout mask and lick my decals. electricity, abba zaba and autumn’s child being the most accomplished tracks. i suppose i am being a little over-liberal with my superlatives.

Name: Kmieciu yacon@poczta.onet.pl
Wednesday, February 14, 2001 9:09 PM

I have no fucking message because my english is very poor…

Name: Jurgen Staal
Tuesday, February 13, 2001 7:30 PM

I have never seen such a beautiful site like this one before. I Love your music Don. Don’s music will always be great.

Name: Kurt Nighswander
Sunday, February 11, 2001 12:54 PM

Ella Guru…I was wondering if Ian Anderson(of Jethro Tull) and Don Van Vliet are friends?

Name: DON PLAISANCE
Sunday, February 11, 2001 4:53 AM

Hello Captain, I’m your number one fan of all time. I’ve bought every CD available and read every book and Radar article that exist. I simply think you are a underappreciated musical genius. Thank you for giving the world your gift. Now, how about that next album?

Name: Perry Bauer
Saturday, February 10, 2001 12:02 PM

I saw on the “‘E’ True Story” that the Captain is the uncle of Pam Des Barres or someone like that. Any clarification on this matter would be appreciated. Also would like to know how Don’s health and artistic activities are going.

Name: jack r. van vliet II
Tuesday, February 06, 2001 3:47 AM

a distant relative