Rising Sons were a band that included Ry Cooder, Gary Marker, Taj Mahal, Kevin Kelley and Jesse Lee Kincaid. Their various 1964-66 recordings for CBS were never released. As a live band they drew the attention of Don Vliet who berated Doug Moon saying he should play slide like Ry Cooder.
The 20 year old Cooder played slide and bass on the Safe As Milk album as well as arranging several songs most notably ‘Grown So Ugly’.
Taj Mahal played percussion on ‘Yellow Brick Road’.
Gary ‘Magic’ Marker was involved in the early production work on Safe As Milk, as well as playing occasional bass for the Magic Band and on a couple of tracks used for Trout Mask Replica.
- 19?? US(?) Pressing of Rising Sons on IRI CR 100 – Clear Vinyl album with plain black labels on which 1 and 2 are hand written in pencil. Limited edition #142 of ? hand written in blue ink on back of green cover which says “RECORDED IN 1966 PRINTED IN U.S.A.”. Track listing, band members and potted history on back in black. This does not seem to be mentioned in HOT WACKS XIV which has an Italian bootleg only.
- 199? Bootleg CD of The Rising Sons on ISRAPHON ISR 009 CD. Supplier claimed limited edition of 300. 18 tracks. B+W Cover art credited to TRUDI MOSCOSO ’66 and cover has PRODUCED BY TERRY MELCHER. CD has ALL SELECTIONS BMI. Sleeve notes appear to be “contemporary”.
- 1992 US CD of Rising Sons featuring Taj Mahal and Ry Cooder on Columbia Legacy CK 52828 – 22 tracks, including 3 with re-recorded vocals by Taj.
Notes say: LEGENDARY …HISTORICAL …COLLECTABLE …UNRELEASED …UNTIL NOW! Here at last are the legendary, lost recordings of the Rising Sons – 20 of which have never been released before. Recorded in 1964, the seminal band fused Blues, Rock, and Country influences into a joyous celebration of music and song. The Rising Sons mark the debut recordings for both Taj Mahal and Ry Cooder (now of Little Village), and includes Jesse Lee Kincaid, Kevin Kelley, and Gary Marker. Terry Melcher of Byrds fame was the producer.
- 1992 Euro CD of Rising Sons featuring Taj Mahal and Ry Cooder on Columbia Legacy COL 472865 2 – 22 tracks + insert/CD as US issue. CD manufactured in Austria.
- 2001 US The Rising Sons LP on Sundazed SC5054LP
Purchase The Rising Sons
Help us out
If anyone is able to complete or update any of the information above, then please do get in touch.