In 2010 some interesting articles began appearing on the Yahoo Associated Content website under the byline of Grant O’Neill. As they seem to have gone missing, or just hard to find, the author has agreed for copies to be posted here at the Radar Station.
Grant is a pseudonym for Don Aldridge a guy from Lancaster who knew Don and many of the Magic Band back in the sixties. I spoke to him many years ago and part of that interview was printed in the ‘Steal Softly Thru Snow’ fanzine.
Don Aldridge is an American ASCAP songwriter, author and publisher who has worked with a number of artists including Merrell Fankhauser, Billy Preston, Reverend Johnny Otis, Kathie Lee Gifford, members of Steely Dan and Toto, and the Archers. He is a former co-editor and publisher of the critically acclaimed original Antelope Valley regional lifestyle magazine, and has worked for 20 years in the advertising and publishing industry.
I asked about these new articles about Don Vliet and he told me that he wanted to “discuss the Don most people haven’t met” … and that’s just what he’s doing in these vignettes.
It’s fascinating stuff … so check out these pieces:
- The Amazing Vanishing Spotlight Kid
- The Spotlight Kid Revisited: Two Decades with Captain Beefheart
- Captain Beefheart: Here I Am I Always Am — or Maybe Not
- Captain Beefheart: Live from Carolside
- Captain Beefheart: Brave New Twirl
- Captain Beefheart: My Human Gets Me Blues
- Captain Beefheart: Strange Fire
- Captain Beefheart: Don’t Drink the Tea
- Captain Beefheart, Legend and Friend Dies
- The Movable Feast: Thanksgiving with Captain Beefheart