We were very sorry to learn that Don Van Vliet passed away on Friday 17 December 2010 due to complications arising from multiple sclerosis.
Tributes from friends, Magic Band members and fans have come thick and fast. Here are a few of them on beefheart.com and beyond:
- Steve’s initial beefheart.com post: Don Van Vliet 1941-2010 including many of your tributes
- My beefheart.com post: Don Van Vliet 1941-2010 including many of your tributes
- Art Tripp’s tribute to Don
- Bill Harkleroad’s tribute to Don
- John French’s tribute to Don – an absolutely lovely read, not to be missed
- Gary Lucas’s tribute to Don from The Wall Street Journal
- BBC news story with links to fan memories and more
- Byron Coley’s tribute in Arthur Magazine
- The Day Captain Beefheart Outsold the Beatles, the Stones and Pink Floyd
- Don Van Vliet dies at 69; avant-garde rock musician known as Captain Beefheart from the Los Angeles Times
- Jon Savage takes a tour through Captain Beefheart’s back catalogue – nice focus on Beefheart’s all-too-often overlooked pop genius
- Captain Beefheart obituary: rock’s father of invention from The Guardian
- Captain Beefheart: stars pay tribute to a musical maverick from The Guardian
- Captain with the magic touch from The Telegraph
- Captain Beefheart, Legend and Friend Dies by Don Aldridge
- Rolling Stone’s 10 Essential Captain Beefheart Songs with links to all sorts of other stuff
- The unique magic of Captain Beefheart from Popmatters
- The BBC documentary The Artist Formerly Known As Captain Beefheart can be viewed in its entirety
How many “he influenced everyone from x to y” can you find?
Please feel free to post your own tributes in the comments on this blog. We hope to print as many of your comments as possible and present them to Don’s wife Jan (thanks Derek) to give her a sense of the huge amount of respect and affection which we have for her husband and the way that his art and life have touched so many of our lives in such a positive way.
Quite simply, we will never forget him.